PHILADELPHIA, Pa. –
Temple's men's tennis team came up against a strong Villanova squad on Tuesday afternoon, dropping a 4-3 decision at TU Pavilion. The Owls drop to 5-10 overall while the Wildcats improve to 9-8.
Villanova took an early 1-0 lead with the doubles point, winning at both the first and third flights.
evened it with a 7-5, 6-3 win at third singles, before the visitors rattled off three-straight wins (No. 4, No. 1 and No. 2, respectively) to wrap up the match.
and Sam Rundle
picked up the final two points for Temple. Belkssir was a 6-4, 6-2 winner at the fifth flight and Rundle won by retirement at No. 6.
The Owls are off for a week before hosting Saint Joseph's next Tuesday, April 16, in a 3 p.m. match at TU Pavilion.
Villanova (9-8) 4, Temple (5-10) 3
1. Thomas O'Brien (VILLANOV) def. Hernan Vasconez (TEMPLE_M) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
2. Chris Seitz (VILLANOV) def. Kristian Marquart (TEMPLE_M) 6-7 (4-10), 6-3, 6-1
3. Santiago Canete (TEMPLE_M) def. Ryan Peyton (VILLANOV) 7-5, 6-3
4. Max Levine (VILLANOV) def. Nicolas Paulus (TEMPLE_M) 7-5, 6-3
5. Hicham Belkssir (TEMPLE_M) def. Michael Rosengren (VILLANOV) 6-4, 6-2
6. Sam Rundle (TEMPLE_M) def. Tim Abbracciamento (VILLANOV) 6-7 (6-10), retired
1. Kelly Donaldson/Thomas O'Brien (VILLANOV) def. Hernan Vasconez/Hicham Belkssir (TEMPLE_M) 8-1
2. Kristian Marquart/Sam Rundle (TEMPLE_M) vs. Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (VILLANOV) 4-3, unfinished
3. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (VILLANOV) def. Santiago Canete/Nicolas Paulus (TEMPLE_M) 8-3
Temple Men's Tennis 5-10
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,4,1,2,5,6)
For more information on Temple men's tennis, visit www.facebook.com/Temple-University-Mens-Tennis