Jaymie Tabor Scores Six Goals in 10-8 Lacrosse Win Over Oregon
Jaymie Tabor

Jaymie Tabor Scores Six Goals in 10-8 Lacrosse Win Over Oregon

Box Score

PHILADELPHIA - Withstanding a furious late rally by Oregon, the Temple lacrosse team held on for a 10-8 win over the Ducks on a chilly Saturday afternoon at Geasey Field. Senior Jaymie Tabor led Temple (2-2) with six goals for the third time in her career, and second against Oregon (2-1).

Two years ago, Tabor notched her first career six-goal performance in a 14-12, season-opening win against the Ducks. She matched that feat in a game at San Diego State last season.

"My teammates were joking before the game," said Tabor, "saying 'maybe you can score six goals again!' and I said, 'well I'll try my best and we'll see what happens,' and it happened!"

The Owls built a 9-5 lead with 6:15 remaining, and held it until under the three-minute mark when Oregon's rally began. The Ducks rattled off three goals in just over a minute to cut the margin to 9-8, but the Owls held strong over the last minute and 30 seconds, and got one more goal from Kirstie Connor.

"To finish out at the end was really important," said Temple head coach Bonnie Rosen. "As you know with lacrosse, it is a game of swings and a three-goal swing can happen very quickly...Coming up with a defensive stop, coming up with draw controls and then finding a way to possess the ball at the end when we haven't had a lot of experience with that yet, was a really good building block. I couldn't be more thrilled with what we were able to do today."

Tabor echoed Rosen's sentiments on how fast the momentum can swing, and said her team just needed to settle down.

"It was crazy at the end there," she said. "Draws are the biggest thing and the game can change so quickly. We just had to come off strong on the draw, and then get down on attack, take a deep breath and swing the ball around."

Oregon was first on the board in the opening minute of the game, but Tabor completed a hat trick within the first eight minutes to give the Owls a 3-1 lead. She scored again near the 11-minute mark for a 4-2 lead that held for over seven minutes.

With just under four minutes remaining in the first half, Oregon scored back-to-back goals to tie the game at 4-4. It looked as though the tie would stand through halftime, but the Owls' Kathryn Skahan was awarded a free-position shot in the final seconds, and she converted it for a 5-4 lead at the break.

The Ducks once again tied the game early in the second half, but from there it was all Temple until the final minutes. The Owls scored four straight goals and held Oregon scoreless for an almost 26-minute stretch. Tabor scored twice in the run, and Temple also got goals from Megan Tiernan on a breakaway, and from Rachel Schwaab.

Overall, Rosen was pleased with the progress the Owls have made since a tough loss at Cornell last Sunday.

"We had a few less unforced turnovers, handled the ball a little bit better and created a few more scoring opportunities," she said, "and defensively we really did a much better job. I think we made some good gains this week."

Temple goalkeepers Rachel Hall and Jaqi Kakalecik each played a half in goal, with Hall earning the win by virtue of the team being ahead 5-4 after the first half. Both made three saves to preserve the win. Oregon keeper Caroline Federighi made nine saves in the cage, and the Ducks were led offensively by Courtney Valdez with four goals and Shannon Propst with three.

Temple will now head west to Colorado for a Spring Break trip, taking on Colorado on Tuesday, March 4, and Denver on Saturday, March 8.
Print Friendly Version