Video | Game Notes | Live Stats Rider | Live Stats Drexel
– The start of the 2014 season has been ideal for Temple women's soccer, as the unbeaten Owls stand at 3-0. This Friday Temple heads to Lawrenceville, N.J. to start their two-game road trip weekend against Rider University. Temple played Rider early last season, which resulted in a tough 1-0 loss. Temple looks favorable for redemption with nine starters returning, and a substantial 3-0 record. If Temple collects its fourth win Friday, it will tie the all-time record for the best start in school history. The game Friday will start at 7:00 p.m. at Ben Cohen Field.
The Owls' weekend will continue with a game Sunday at Drexel. The game is of much significance with Drexel being a city rival. The game will begin at 1:00 p.m. at Vidas Field. Wins will not be handed out this weekend, but the Owls look to use hard work, discipline, and chemistry to fuel them to the program's best start in Temple women's soccer history.
Check out the links above for live stats, game notes, and a video weekend preview with Temple Head Coach Seamus O'Connor
and starting goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff
• Rider comes in with a record of 2-1. Last weekend, the Broncs went 1-1, losing Friday to Fairleigh Dickinson 3-2 in overtime, and concluding the weekend with a 1-0 overtime victory over Bucknell Sunday.
• The Owls hold a 0-3-0 all-time record against the Broncs. The teams' last matchup was on Sept. 8, 2013 at Ambler Sports Complex, which resulted in a 1-0 victory for Rider.
• Drexel comes in with a record of 1-2. Drexel was on the road in New York last weekend. The Dragons played Niagara University on Friday, which resulted in a 1-0 loss, and concluded the trip at University at Buffalo Sunday with another tough 1-0 loss.
• The Owls hold a 7-5-1 all-time record against the Dragons. The last matchup was on Sept. 14, 2012 at Ambler Sports Complex, which resulted in a 1-0 victory for Drexel. Temple's last victory against Drexel was a 2-1 victory on Sept. 7, 2007.
• Temple women's soccer entered the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA)/Continental Tire Northeast Regional Poll at No. 8 on Tuesday. The Owls were previously unranked but were buoyed by a 1-0 road win at Saint Joseph's last Friday.
• Temple women's soccer player Shauni Kerkhoff
was named the American Athletic Conference Goalkeeper of the Week after her performance in a 1-0 win at Saint Joseph's last Friday. Gina DiTaranto
was selected to the weekly honor roll.
• Temple women's soccer opened up the 2014 season with a 2-0 win at Binghamton.
• Temple women's soccer defeated Mount St. Mary's 3-0 in its home opener.
• Temple women's soccer senior Alyssa Kirk
was named the American Athletic Conference Defender of the Week after her performance in the season opening weekend in wins over Binghamton and Mount St. Mary's. Gina DiTaranto
was also selected to the honor roll.