In a battle that came down to the final match, the women's tennis team narrowly lost to city rival Penn, 4-3.
In doubles play, Penn took the first set at the second flight, 6-2, but Temple quickly responded, as Mariana Bedon
and Minami Okajima
tied things up at the third flight, 6-2. Alina Abdurakhimova
and Dina Karina
were defeated at the first flight, 6-2, to give Penn the doubles point.
In singles, it was a back and forth fight for the lead. Aburakhimova tied things up for Temple, winning the first flight over Penn's Kana Daniel, 6-2, 6-2. Penn came back quickly to take the 2-1 lead at the second flight with Sonya Latycheva defeating Karina, 6-4, 6-4. Temple's Anais Nussaume
took the victory at the third flight, 6-4, 6-3 to tie things up at 2-2.
Penn's Ria Vaidya took the victory at the sixth flight over Bedon, 6-1, 6-4 to bring the score to 3-2. Monet Stuckey-Willis
took the set at the fifth flight, 6-4, 6-4. The final point came down to a battle at the fourth flight, as Khon and Penn's Qostal came down the last set, with Qostal ultimately winning, 6-1, 6-7, 6-3.
Head coach Steve Mauro
was pleased with the way that the team held on into the final sets, despite the loss.
"The girls played well tonight. It's unfortunate we lost to a strong Penn women's team. They're one of the top schools in the Ivy but it was a very close match that could have gone either way," said Mauro. "The girls fought hard and it's early in the season but I was really impressed with the way they came out and played, especially in singles."
The Owls (2-2) will travel to Delaware (2-0) tomorrow to take on the Blue Hens in Elkton, Md. at 6:30 p.m. Penn, 4 Temple, 3 Doubles:
1) Eskenazi/Qostal (UP) def. Abdurakhimova/Karina (TU), 6-2
2) Daniel/Vaidya (UP) def. Breland/Nussaume (TU), 6-2
3) Bedon/Okajima (TU) def. Latycheva/Ion, 6-2 Singles:
1) Abdurakhimova (TU) def. Daniel (UP), 6-2, 6-2
2) Latycheva (UP) def. Karina (TU), 6-4, 6-4
3) Nussaume (TU) def. Vazhenina (UP), 6-4, 6-3
4) Qostal (UP) def. Khon (TU), 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-3
5) Stuckey-Willis (TU) def. Ion (UP), 6-4, 6-4
6) Vaidya (UP) def. Bedon (TU), 6-1, 6-4 Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 1, 2, 3, 6, 5, 4