CINCINNATI, Ohio –
After riding a six match winning streak, the women's tennis team dropped their first American Athletic Conference match to Cincinnati, 6-1.
The Owls were quickly swept in the doubles point, as Cincinnati's Lauren Bellinger and Kelly Poggensee-Wei took down Alina Abdurakhimova
and Yana Khon
at the first flight, 8-2. At the second flight, Katya Bure and Ali Miller made quick work of Monet Stuckey-Willis
and Anais Nussaume
, as the Bearcats clinched the point in an 8-4 victory.
The team couldn't fall back into a rhythm in singles play, as Cincinnati quickly took a 4-0 lead in straight-set victories. After winning eight straight-set victories, Abdurakhimova was absent from the singles lineup; senior Rebecca Breland
took over at the first flight, dropping her set 6-4, 6-1 to Poggensee-Wei. Stuckey-Willis was the only Owl to clinch a victory, taking down Hannah Wille at the fifth flight, 7-6(5), 3-6, 10-3.
"It was a tough loss for the girls today, especially because we hadn't loss in a while. It was a long trip out here and it was nice to get the win over Dayton yesterday, but unfortunately, things didn't go our way today," said head coach Steve Mauro
. "It's tough to play without your number one player; with Alina in the lineup, the outcome might have been different. Hats off to Cincinnati, they're a good team. We look forward to facing them in the conference championship rounds."
The Owls (8-3, 0-1) will return to action on March 1 as they host St. Francis (Pa.) at Aquatic Fitness Center at 6:00 p.m. Cincinnati 6, Temple 1Doubles:
1) Bellinger/Poggensee-Wei (UC) def. Abdurakhimova/Khon (TU), 8-2
2) Bure/Miller (UC) def. Stuckey-Willis/Nussaume (TU), 8-4
3) Okajima/Karina (TU) vs. Abdalla/Wille (UC), unfinishedSingles:
1) Poggensee-Wei (UC) def. Breland (TU), 6-4, 6-1
2) Bure (UC) def. Khon (TU), 6-1, 6-2
3) Miller (UC) def. Karina (TU), 6-1, 6-2
4) Bellinger (UC) def. Nussaume (TU), 6-2, 6-4
5) Stuckey-Willis (TU) def. Wille (UC), 7-6(5), 3-6, 10-3
6) Abdalla (UC) def. Bedon (TU), 6-3, 6-4Order of Finish