The women's tennis team picked up another victory this weekend after they defeated Rutgers, 5-2 on Sunday, February 8.
After being swept in doubles last night against UMBC, the Owls came out in full force, winning all three flights. Minami Okajima
and Mariana Bedon
took the third flight, 6-3, while freshmen duo Alina Abdurakhimova
and Yana Khon
wrapped up the singles point at the first flight, 6-3. Anais Nussaume
and Monet Stuckey-Willis
also picked up a victory at the second flight, 7-6(4).
In singles play, the Owls quickly wrapped up the win. Abdurakhimova extended her consecutive straight set streak to five, defeating Rutgers' Gina Li, 6-3, 6-1 at the first flight. Bedon and Khon also took their flights in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0 at the sixth and 6-1, 6-3 at the third, respectively. To pick up the win for Temple, Nussaume battled at the fourth flight, winning the set over Lindsay Balsamo, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.
Head coach Steve Mauro
was very happy with the way that the team came out to sweep their weekend matches against tough competition.
"It was a very successful weeking, beating two tough opponents. I'm really happy with the way that the girls competed today, especially in doubles. It's something we've been working on in practice. They were fired up and won all three of their doubles matches," said Mauro. "We were very succesful in singles as well. Rutgers is always one of the top teams to beat. But, we're really excited about where our program is headed this year."
The Owls (5-2) will host Binghamton at Legacy on February 13 at 9:00 a.m. and Albany at Upper Dublin Sports Center on February 14 at 5:30 p.m. Temple 5, Rutgers 2Doubles:
1) Abdurakhimova/Khon (TU) def. Li/Zein (RU), 6-3
2) Nussaume/Stuckey-Willis (TU) def. Balsamo/Lee (RU), 7-6(4)
3) Bedon/Okajima (TU) def. Kayati/Levy (RU), 6-3 Singles:
1) Aburakhimova (TU) def. Li (RU), 6-3, 6-1
2) Kayati (RU) def. Karina (TU), 6-1, 6-3
3) Khon (TU) def. Lee (TU), 6-1, 6-3
4) Nussaume (TU) def. Balsamo (RU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5) Zein (RU) def. Stuckey-Willis (TU), 6-3, 7-6(4)
6) Bedon (TU) def. Levy (RU), 6-2, 6-0 Order of Finish: