Fatima Largaespada (left) and Safa Ibrahim

Women's Fencing

Two Temple Fencers Selected to Compete at the 2015 NCAA Championships

INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA Men's and Women's Fencing Committee has announced the field of 144 competitors (72 men and 72 women) who will participate in the 2015 National Collegiate Men's and Women's Fencing Championships, and the field includes two from Temple University. Junior Fatima Largaespada, the foil squad leader for the Owls, will make her third-straight appearance at the national championships. Freshman Safa Ibrahim, a standout all season for the epee squad, has earned a spot in her first season at Temple.

The Ohio State University will serve as host of the championships, which are set for March 19-22 at French Fieldhouse in Columbus, Ohio. Fencers will compete in a round-robin format of five-touch bouts. After the round-robin, the top-four finishers in each weapon will fence in semifinal 15-touch bouts, with the winners fencing to determine first and second places, and the non-advancing fencers being awarded a tie for third place.

Largaespada is coming off a fourth-place finish in foil at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic/South Regional on March 7. Ibrahim placed eighth in epee. For all fencers selected to participate in the NCAA Championships, their finish at the regional meet was weighted 60 percent, while their performance the rest of the season was weighted 40 percent. Both Largaespada and Ibrahim have been leaders for the Owls this year, helping the team finish the dual meet season with a record of 24-11. Ibrahim recently won the epee title at the NIWFA Championships, and was named to the All-NIWFA First Team.

More information about Temple's participants and when they will compete will be available in the coming week. For more information about the championships log on to NCAA.com. To catch live coverage of the event, log in to ESPN3 or the WatchESPN app. An hour long, documentary-style highlight show of the National Collegiate Men's and Women's Fencing Championships will air on ESPNU at 3:00 p.m. Eastern time, Wednesday, April 8. 
Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned