The Temple men's tennis team completed a doubleheader sweep on Saturday as they took down La Salle and Rider, 7-0.
"The guys played really well today. They came out strong against La Salle and dominated in both singles and doubles," said head coach Steve Mauro
. "Against Rider, we struggled a little bit in doubles but came back to get the point. But we played strong in singles and I was really happy that our two freshmen got their first collegiate win in a dominant fashion. Everyone is really excited and it was a great way to start the season."
Against the Explorers, the Owls made quick work in doubles play, with Santiago Canete
and Maros Januvka
taking an 8-0 win at the third flight over Lane Bangis and Brian Giuduci. Hicham Belkssir
and Nicolas Paulus
returned as doubles partners to take down Liam Rodriguez and Joe DiOrio at the second flight, 8-0 to give Temple a 1-0 lead.
In singles, Belkssir gave the Owls a 2-0 lead over the Explorers, defeating Mark Robinson at the second flight, 6-1, 6-0. Paulus picked up a 6-1 6-4 at the third flight over DiOrio. Canete sealed the match for Temple after taking down Brian Balico at the first flight, 6-2, 6-0. Vineet Naran
, Filip Stipic and Ian Glessing
all picked up wins at the fourth, fifth and sixth flights, respectively.
In their second match of the day, the Owls again made quick work of Rider. Stipcic and Glessing took down Matthew Begley and Agaazi Berhane, 8-1 at the second flight and Naran and Canete defeated Chris Popso and Diego Delgado, 8-6 at the first flight to claim the doubles point.
In singles play, two newcomers to the team picked up their first victories as Owls. Uladzimir Dorash defeated Popso, 6-1, 6-1 at the second flight, while Artem Kapshuk took down Delgado, 6-1, 6-2 at the first flight. Belkssir wrapped up the match for the Owls, picking up a 6-2, 6-0 win against Begley at fourth flight.
The Owls will travel to Annapolis, Md. next weekend to take part in the Joe Hunt Invitational hosted by Navy on September 25-26. Temple 7, La Salle 0Doubles:
1) Kapshuk/Dorash (TU) def. Balico/Robinson (LU), 8-1
2) Belkssir/Paulus (TU) def. Rodriguez/DiOrio (LU), 8-0
3) Canete/Januvka (TU) def. Bangis/Giuduci (LU), 8-0 Singles:
1) Canete (TU) def. Balico (LU), 6-2, 6-0
2) Belkssir (TU) def. Robinson (LU), 6-1, 6-0
3) Paulus (TU) def. DiOrio (LU), 6-1, 6-4
4) Naran (TU) def. Rodriguez (LU), 6-0, 6-0
5) Stipcic (TU) def. Bangis (LU), 6-0, 6-2
6) Glessing (TU) def. Giuduci (LU), 6-0, 6-0Order of Finish
,4,5,6 Temple 7, Rider 0Doubles:
1) Naran/Canete (TU) def. Popso/Delgado (RU), 8-6
2) Stipcic/Glessing (TU) def. Begley/Berhane (RU), 8-1
3) Van Herwarde/Gildea (RU) def. Cargill/Ong (TU), 7-8 (6-8) Singles:
1) Kapshuk (TU) def. Delgado (RU), 6-1, 6-2
2) Dorash (TU) def. Popso (RU), 6-1, 6-1
3) Paulus (TU) def. Van Herwarde (RU), 6-0, 6-1
4) Belkssir (TU) def. Begley (RU), 6-2, 6-0
5) Januvka (TU) def. Berhane (RU), 6-2, 6-0
6) Ong (TU) def. Ciaccio (RU), 6-2, 6-1Order of Finish