AKRON, Ohio –
Redshirt senior John Barone
had another great two rounds for Temple Monday. The Dunmore, Pa. native shot a four-under over the first 36 holes at the Firestone Invitational for a 140 to tie for fifth among the 90-golfer field. As a team, the Owls are tied for 10th
with Ball State and Dartmouth among the 17-team field at the par-72, 7,125-yard Firestone Country Club's North Course.
Recapping the Day
- Barone, who had a 136 for his best 36-hole total at Temple to open the 2018 campaign, carded a one-under 71 for the morning round and surged to a three-under 69 after lunch. He played consistent golf, making eight birdies to go along with his 24 pars on the day.
- Senior Trey Wren was next for Temple with a one-over 145 to tie for 32nd overall. Wren was one-under after the morning round, but bogeyed two of his final five holes to card a two-over 74 in the afternoon round.
- Freshman Conor McGrath and senior Gary McCabe sit third for Temple and tied for 54th overall with five over 149s. McGrath had a one-over 73 in the morning round while McCabe's best round was a two-over 74 in the afternoon.
- Redshirt junior Erik Reisner was third for the Owls in the morning with an even-par 72, but faltered in the afternoon (79) to finish tied for 67th with a seven-over 151.
- Ohio leads the field with a 564 which is two strokes better than UConn (566). Temple is 16 strokes back at 580.
- Winthrop's Ryan Tattan leads the field with a seven-under 137.
- The Owls conclude play with a final round tomorrow at 8:15 am.